Freddie Hayeck Blog 1


I am very excited for my freshman trip to New Orleans with my Bonner class. Every upperclassman that attended has all said positive remarks about the trip, and I hear a common phrase that ‘it is one of the most fun experiences in Bonner’. That being said, I expect the trip to be one of the best experiences the Bonner program offers, to grow closer to my Bonner community, and to give back to an overlooked part of society. I have only spent a semester with my Bonner class, but I am really happy to be apart of it because we have already developed a strong community and friendship. This bond gives me the confidence that my trip to New Orleans will live up to, and even exceed, my expectations. 
Towards the end of the fall semester, I learned about the impact Hurricane Katrina had on the poor and minority communities of New Orleans. I’ve seen the damage through a documentary and pictures, but it is always different to see it in person. To walk the streets of a neighborhood that was underwater and now has an eerie feeling as lots still lay vacant. I am prepared to experience and learn a lot while in this historic city. The service will also be a highlight of the trip because it is unique. I am used to working in a garden, on a farm, and planning educational events for my sites at TCNJ, but not construction. It will be a rewarding experience because our work is physical and we can easily look back and see how much we were able to accomplish in a short amount of time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sofia Cartagena Blog 2

Jocelyne Guzman Blog 2