Kimberly Jarquin Blog 2


The trip so far has definitely exceeded the expectations that I had prior to the trip. I knew that I was going to bond more with my Bonner class but I did not know how much closer we would become. Getting to see everyone everyday, instead of just for FSP, had made me very happy because I am learning new things about each person every day that we are in New Orleans. Some of the people that I have been talking to are the ones that I don’t usually see at school and who are not in my site for service during the semester. I can also say the same for the chaperones, I have never talked to many of them and now that I know who they are I can't wait to say hi to them whenever I see them on campus. The service aspect of the trip is also nothing that I expected. If someone had told me that I would be demolishing a house I would not believe them. Because of the rainy weather today, my group had to go to a different house in the area. At first I was confused on why we were helping to rebuild the house because it was not like the ones we have seen in the Lower 9th, this house was bigger and in a wealthier area. The house belonged to an 87 year old woman who went through contractor fraud twice when trying to rebuild her house. This was when I realized that the victims of Katrina who needed help were not only people with lower incomes but also people who have been through complications such as contractor fraud. Something that I noticed in New Orleans is the bond between the community. Getting to be here for the Saints game was great because everyone felt the sense of community and everyone coming together to support their team even though they lost. Before leaving, I would like to find out what the qualifications are for someone to receive help from SBP and get an Opportunity Home. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freddie Hayeck Blog 1

Jocelyne Guzman Blog 2

Sofia Cartagena Blog 2