Joyce Vilson Blog 1

Growing up as a disney-obsessed and imaginative girl my first thought of New Orleans was always the setting of The Princess and the Frog. I always anticipated kind people, the heart of jazz music, and an evolving culture. Ten years later, although I may have realized that life is not always a fairytale, I truly hope for this experience to be both culturally enriching and eye-opening. As a Bonner Scholar, this past semester has allowed me to understand the social injustice and several forms of environmental racism implemented among the innocent citizens of New Orleans who continue to suffer from the effects of the recent hurricanes. In knowing this information, as a team, I know the service project will be an opportunity to provide assistance in the process of reconstruction for the disasters that have occured. Most importantly, even if the ultimate goal is to dedicate our time and make a difference, I also hope to have a memorable experience alongside my peers.
Other than finally being able to taste the scrumptious smell of Gumbo, I cannot wait to enjoy the beauty of Lake Pontchartrain and the Tree of Life. As an avid lover of scenic landscapes I think visiting a new area will give me the chance to take a step back and reflect upon my purpose. Moreover, in the span of ten days, the most rewarding site will be the progress of our service performed and visually being able to take in the impact made from both determination and teamwork.
Overall, the most exciting component of this service trip will be going through the different phases of construction. Personally, the painting and priming phases will probably be the most enjoyable. As someone who has failed multiple times “DIY-ing” and binge watches Property Brothers, I truly hope this experience is unforgettable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sofia Cartagena Blog 2

Freddie Hayeck Blog 1

Jocelyne Guzman Blog 2